Sunday, September 02, 2007

Holiday Weekend PM

Well it has been a while since my last post and I will try and piece the summer back together and fill in the gaps as best I can in the coming weeks. But as many of you know I typically avoid the holiday weekends as much I as I can. So this Labor Day weekend I decided to get some mid-season work done myself instead of having the marina do it.

I got down early to avoid the traffic and began my running around. Stopped at the boat to pickup the bad light bulb so I knew what model to buy. Then stopped at the Volvo dealer for oil and filter. What a rip off marine grade synthetic oil is at $29.99 a gallon. I know this has been debated before but unfortunately marine grade oils are slightly different and worth the extra cost in prolonging you motor's life. After that it was off to West Marine for light bulbs and then to Mark's station to pick up the oil change pump.

After changing the oil I then replaced all my dock lines with brand new lines since the old ones are now almost four seasons old. The few bucks the new lines cost is a small price to pay for piece of mind in the event of big blow this fall.

In between the maintenance I set out the killie trap and a recently purchased crab pot. The killies were quite large for the creek and quickly showed up. Crabbing was a little slow. I ended the day with 7 nice sized males, a dozen or so short males and females and two short fluke. After a little break and some food I moved onto the domestic water system. It had seemed like the system was sucking in air but after careful inspection and a little help from Tommy it was was determined it was a clogged filter that I had overlooked. Cleaned the sludge out of the filter and the system was back to normal.

With all the repairs and maintenance done it was now time to relax, enjoy the beautiful weather, good company and case of Sam Adams!

No comments: