Sunday, November 16, 2008

New Rod Holders

I was hoping to get out around noon for a few hours but as the morning went on the winds got stronger and stronger so despite their Westerly direction and reports of the seas being just a swell along the beach we decided to just work on our boats.

We did a group trip to West since we all had 20% off coupons and the stores had tables of stuff 40 and 50 percent off due to the stores closing and moving to a mega store. I was able to grab a couple of items I was in short supply of for half price plus 20% off...score!

Anyway back at the marina I removed the old factory rod holders, sealed the old screw holes and the hole for the rod holders themselves. Then covered the gunwale cap with masking tape to make out the new holes. They ended up a little close to the old ones but I am not too concerned as we are installing a backing plate and through bolting them instead of just using lags as they were originally installed.

Installation went fairly easy and once installed they looked great. The stainless rod holders with white liners looks much better on the boat than chromed ones with black liners. Over the winter I will order five more and replace the other two existing ones, add a center transom rod holder and two forward for the outriggers.

I also retooled my shelf for the bilge heater. After converting the raw water intake the new through hull and hose is slightly in the way of the old shelf. Plus the newly installed battery boxes cut down on the width in the motor well. Once I cut down the shelf length and made its feet longer it was a perfect fit once again. And just in time for this cold front coming through.

Next weekend looks to be very promising weather wise...lets hope the forecast holds.

No comments: