Saturday, February 17, 2007

Cockpit Sonar

Well after nearly two years I finally moved the black and white sounder from the helm to the cockpit. There is nothing I hate more than drilling holes in fiberglass. For some reason no matter what I do I get chipping and cracking around the hole. I tape off and drill through the tape, use new sharp bits, keep the drill straight and steady. I have come to the conclusion I am just not meant to drill holes in my boat. With that said if I ever need holes drilled below or near the water line rest assured that it will not be me doing the drilling. Anyway, at least it is not cored or structural, and the mounts cover the unsightly details. She is all mounted and wired up to power and NMEA wires to the GPS. I just need to tighten the screws down once the silicone sets and tie down the excess wire under the second station in the cockpit. It will be so nice to just turn around and see bottom contour, depth, water temp, and location without having to run inside. Which I usually end up banging my head in the process. We should also be able to click off waypoints from the cockpit now as well. It is going to be a whole new experience this year...cockpit sounder, wireless VHF mike and remote control of the stereo all from the cockpit. Now all I need it three extra hands so that I can play with all my cool toys and fish at the same time!

No comments: